Aug 20, 2010

Fall League Started

St. Charles' Fall League started last night. We didn't get shooting til late and it was pretty dusky. I missed the first one out of the house (dummy) and then flinched at the third one to close singles out with a 23. I ran my handicap targets to end with a 48 which I am really happy with. I need to break at least a 46 every week to hit my goal of 370/400.

Holding lower on the house instead of holding high and looking down below the gun seems to help. Less chance for my eyes to play tricks on me. Holding high works for me when my eyes and mind are fresh but by Thursday my eyes are usually fried and I've shot some pretty poor scores holding high. I learned a good lesson from the wobble trap shooting, see below.

I've also gone back to basics, really trying to concentrate on the target as soon as I pick it up, repeating to myself, "see it."

Trapshooting USA this month had a nice article about a league that has been running in the Lehigh Valley area of Pennsylvania forever. My dad grew up there. This is a great magazine, you can browse thru old issues on their website.

Downer's Grove shoot this Sunday.