Jan 22, 2012

New knife


Still way too cold for me to be out shooting. I just finished this off today. Its a Damascus blade blank paired with a white paper Micarta handle. Micarta is paper and resin squeezed together under heat, its really hard and will not shrink over time. Its epoxied on and then three Corby bolts put through it. I put a black liner (not visible) between the tang and the handle. Its looks cool but its probably impractical. The Damascus will rust like crazy with any moisture on it.


I'm going to try and make my own sheath for it using the plans I have in a book by RW Loveless. There is a Tandy leather store in Elgin where the owner was very knowledgeable and helpful. Cal and I bought a blank for a belt, cut it down, stained it and finished it. I made it long enough that he should be able to wear it for awhile.