Jan 8, 2012

New Knife

Just finished this one. Put a mirror finish on the blade which was a ton of work. The knife handle was drilled for six pins, I drilled it out with a masonary drill for two Corby bolts. The handle was epoxied on and then the bolts put through and then ground down. These scales will never fall off. They are Maple burl which I shaped with a bench sander and then files.

After sanding down to 600 grit paper, I stained with Danish oil and then 7 coats of Tru-oil which are rubbed in with bare hands and then buffed down with steel wool in between. Once the pores were filled up, I put on a couple coats of Carnuba wax, buffing in between.

I like this one, it was a lot of work but came out pretty good. Still some imperfections but getting better.

Shot Saturday and Sunday, Sunday was sporting clays with a friend of mine. Trap on Saturday was a little rough.