Sep 3, 2011

WSJ - The Key to Putting, Not Thinking

That's the title of a story in today's WSJ and it reminded me of a quote from Leo Harrison I read somewhere. He was asked what he thought about when shooting, the answer, "nothing."

A couple of quotes from the story about Dave Stockton:

“The essence of Stockton's philosophy, hinted at in the title of Morrison's book, is that putting is primarily a mental art and not a physical science. "Everybody, and I mean everybody, tries to get too technical with putting. They put too much effort into the mechanics," Stockton told me. "I understand why that is. It carries over from the long game, which does require more emphasis on mechanics. But that's why the putting game is so much easier. The stroke is, what, a foot and a half long? It should be very simple. The main thing I want is for people to have the best mental routine so that physically they can just step up to the ball and let it go."

"Stockton's paramount emphasis is on strongly visualizing the line of the putt. Never putt until after you "see" the ball fall into the hole, he advises. And putt right away, while that vision is fresh in your mind, before conscious thoughts can intervene. At the U.S. Open, you may have noticed, McIlroy putted without a practice stroke. That's a Stockton staple."


I'm trying to think less and just shoot and it seems to be working better, broke 97.6% of my last 550 singles targets.

Grace at the barn today