Jun 20, 2011

Illinois State Shoot Recap

I shot sub-par the three days I was there, below my average for singles and handicaps. I never got in the groove and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I had planned on shooting thru Saturday and Sunday but I wasn't having fun anymore and wasn't shooting well so I left Saturday morning. That was the right choice, I would have likely just kept plowing along repeating the same mistake which I think I have identified.

There were a couple of highlights. I got squadded with Harlan Campbell for singles on my first day. He broke 100 straight, couldn't have been any nicer of a guy. I broke 49 of my first 50 handicap targets in one event, went to the next trap to shoot the next 50 and broke an 18 and a 24. The 18 was the result of broken concentration and I left the trap stunned at the depth of my stupidity. I was happy to go back and break the 24. My handicap scores had 9s in front of them. I shot with a bunch of nice people and saw a lot of my friends from the local clubs in Northern Illinois. Some of them won events.

Sunday, I went over to St Charles to shoot my makeup for the Spring League and broke a 22 from the 16-yard line in a practice round. Still having problems. Signed up to shoot my makeup and told myself to wait that extra second or so after mounting the gun and before calling for the target. Ran the singles and broke a 24 from 23 yards. Best league score this year. Ran another round of singles and broke another 24 from 23 yards. Right back in the groove again. I have to slow down and let my eyes settle out in the field. I can shoot all the practice I want, but it doesn't mean anything if I don't slowdown in competition.

So a disappointment but that's sports and I learned something. Rory McIlroy had a complete meltdown at the Masters two months ago and then destroyed the US open this weekend.

The picture below is from St Charles' Paralyzed Veterans of America shoot this weekend.