Jun 8, 2012

Lots of Practice This Week

I got some good advice last weekend about gun hold and where to look for the target. I've been fishing around with high hold, low holds with no confidence in either. A local shooter who has been breaking ATA targets for half his life suggested to me a parallel hold. Keep it simple. I also told him how I look way out into the distance for the target. He suggested looking closer to the house, not so far out. "Up, not out" was the way he put it. Anyway, I tried it Monday afternoon and broke my first 50 singles. Between Monday and Wednesday I broke 2 24s at handicap (24 yds) which I haven't done in a long time. Couple of worse scores, but everything was above a 21. And the breaks were a lot harder. I shot the league last night. I broke two 24s on the practice trap from 16 yards, and then broke a 22 in the league shoot. Maybe I should just skip the practice targets, my concentration skills are in short supply towards the end of the week. I broke a 22 in the handicap. Not great shooting, but better than I have been and Thursday nights have usually been my worst day of the week to shoot. A few other things he suggested to me, (1) black out the front bead, (2) use a key word to clear your mind before you mount the gun, and (3) make sure that your gun and eyes are still before you call for the target. All in all, happy with the initial results and happy with the way the MX15 has shot over about 1500 targets.