Sep 20, 2010

Better Shooting and a New Gun


I drove down to Indiana Friday night and picked up a used Perazzi MX2005 combo. I have been looking for one and one came up at the right price and right features. I shot it at the patterning board Saturday and raised the comb/adjusted the rib to get it to shoot where my current gun is. I shot it a little on Saturday and like the way it feels. I broke a 22 from 27 yards with it which is good for me from that yardage.

Sunday, McHenry Sportsman's Club had their ATA shoot. I decided to shoot the new gun. I muddled my way thru the singles for a below average score. In the handicap, I shot 21, 24, 24, 23 for a 92. That is much better than I have been shooting and it was with an unfamiliar gun so I was happy. There was another 92 at my yardage so there was a shoot-off which I lost, I dropped three, he ran them. Thats a tough competitor. Runner-up felt good after not placing since the Grand.

Regardless, getting my confidence back. The targets I missed I had a hard time seeing as the all orange targets transitioned from the tree line to sky. In the past month, I have been missing targets that I could see clearly so going back to the high hold point is working.

The trigger in the MX had a release in it that I took out and the pull is way, way too heavy. So that has to be adjusted. Overall, I really like the new gun, the recoil seems less, it opens and closes like a bank vault, and I was only 1 or 2 handicap targets away from shooting an above average (for me) score. It was fun again to shoot after a disappointing run.