Jun 21, 2010

134th Illinois State Shoot



I was at the state shoot Friday thru Sunday. It was my first big shoot and attending was one of my goals this year. On Friday I shot a 92 in the handicap event, I was pretty wound up and shot a 21 on the first 25. Calmed down and shot a 71/75 on the final three rounds. Blazing hot day.

Saturday was 200 singles, 100 in the morning and 100 in the afternoon. In the first 100, I shot a 97, above my recent average so I was happy with that. In the second 100, I shot a 99 (missed one in the second 25). That is the best I have shot in singles. So a 196, A class was won with a 198 so I am right there.

Sunday was the handicap championship. I went in to it feeling pretty good. I shot three 24s in a row. As the final 25 got underway, I was thinking that a 97 was a winning score and I better not mess this up. Naturally, I dropped target #8 and started to think, "uh oh, miss one more and no yardage punch. The inevitable followed and I missed one more. Now I am angry with myself and miss one more to finish with a 94. A 96 won the yardage group.

So again, right there but I defeated myself. The mental game is still my weak spot. On the positive side, I am holding a singles average at my goal, I met my goal for the Spring Trap League and my handicap average is trending higher.

I thought the shoot was well run. It started on time everyday, the machines worked, the voice releases worked, results were up quickly, the food was good. I got to watch some of the top shots shoot, Mike Jordan, Mike Westjohn, Frank Bentley.