Jan 14, 2010

E A Hicken Sr.


Elwood Hicken, my grandmother's brother was a trap shooter. According to the ATA's website, he shot his first registered targets in 1953. He shot 750 singles that year for an average of 76.27%. He only shot 50 handicap targets that year and broke 76% of those. He shot pretty consistently for the next 40 years, shooting his last registered targets in 1993 at the age of 81 (I think). His high singles average was 94% in 1963. He ended his ATA career at 21.5 yards but I am not sure how far back he made it in his prime. All together, he shot 76,325 singles targets and 23,150 handicap targets. Thats a nice long career, I hope I am that lucky.

I mentioned his name on another website and found some people that knew him. He shot at Delaware County Sportsmen's Association in Media, PA, a club founded in 1915. Apparently he has been still calling the clubhouse from Florida every other week or so to touch base.
A few years back, he came up from Florida and insisted my parents take him to see the gun club. My parents remember going to see him shoot at Shawnee on the Delaware (a Pocono Mountains resort) in the early 1960s while they were in college.

Another poster related that Elwood was a past High Chief of the Atlantic Indians and while he didn't know much about his shooting career, he remembered him as a real gentleman. Indians are an informal social trapshooting club, in Illinois, we have the Illini Indians.

He's still paying his ATA membership dues, 98 years old now. Maybe he is a life member.